The LIFE programme‘s main goals are to:
- help make the shift towards a more sustainable, circular, energy-efficient, renewable energy-based, climate-neutral and -resilient economy.
- protect, restore and enhance our environment.
- halt and reverse biodiversity loss.
- stop the degradation of ecosystems by managing and enhancing the Natura 2000 network, thereby boosting sustainable development.
- encourage and support green ideas from both large and small companies, NGOs, public authorities, citizen groups and academia, amongst others.
The LIFE programme is divided into two strands: one for the environment and another for climate action.
The environment strand has two sub-programmes:
- Nature and biodiversity
- Circular economy and quality of life
The climate action strand also has two sub-programmes:
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Clean energy transition (continuation of H2020 Energy Efficiency market uptake)