Creative Europe's stated aims are to support the creation of European works and help the cultural and creative sectors seize the opportunities of the digital age and globalisation, in order to reach their economic potential, contributing to sustainable growth, jobs, and social cohesion; promote the competitiveness and innovation of the European audiovisual industry and help Europe's culture and media sectors access new international opportunities, markets, and audiences; promote cross-sectoral innovative actions and diverse, independent and pluralistic media.
This will, specifically, involve providing funding for Cultural and creative organisations, cinemas, films. Creative Europe encourages audiovisual, cultural and creative players to operate across Europe, reach new audiences and develop the skills needed in the digital age. By helping European cultural and audiovisual works to reach audiences in other countries, the programme contributes to safeguarding cultural and linguistic diversity.
The CULTURE Strand of Creative Europe helps cultural and creative organisations to operate transnationally and promotes the cross-border circulation of works of culture and the mobility of cultural players. It provides financial support to activities with a European dimension aiming at strengthening the transnational creation and circulation of European works, developing transnational mobility, audience development (accessible and inclusive culture), innovation and capacity building (notably digitisation, new business models, education and training). The supported activities aim to enable cultural and creative players to work internationally.
Funding opportunities under CULTURE cover a diverse range of actions:
- Horizontal actions: cooperation projects, networks, platforms, mobility for artists and cultural professionals, and policy development.
- Sectoral support: support for music, publishing, cultural heritage and architecture as well as other sectors.
- Special actions: EU cultural prizes, European Capitals of Culture, European Heritage Label, support for young high-quality artists, and broad citizens’ service outreach.
The MEDIA Strand of Creative Europe supports the EU film and audiovisual industries financially in the development, distribution and promotion of their work. It helps to launch and distribute projects with a European dimension and international potential to travel beyond national and European borders. Its funding actions provide support to audiovisual works including films, TV series, documentaries, video games and immersive content, and to cinemas, festivals, VOD services and industry markets. It also contributes to boosting European talent via training programmes, as well as to audience development and film education.
The MEDIA calls are divided into four thematic clusters:
- Content: Encouraging collaboration and innovation in the creation and production of high quality works.
- Business: Promoting business innovation, competitiveness, scalability and talents to strengthen Europe’s industry vis-à-vis global competitors.
- Audience: Strengthening the accessibility and visibility of works for their potential audiences through distribution channels and audience development.
- Policy: Supporting policy discussion/exchange fora, studies, and reports. Promoting awareness-raising activities.
In parallel, MEDIA provides financial incentives for greening as well as inclusion and gender balance best practices.
The CROSS-SECTORAL Strand addresses common challenges and opportunities of the cultural and creative sectors, including audio-visual, such as:
- Transnational policy cooperation: promoting knowledge of the programme and supporting the transferability of results.
- Creative Innovation Labs: promoting innovative approaches to content creation, access, distribution and promotion across cultural and creative sectors.
- News media: supporting media literacy, quality journalism and media freedom and pluralism.